Thomas Jefferson School No. 1

Snapshot

Located at 390 Van Houten Avenue in Passaic, New Jersey, Thomas Jefferson School No. 1 was the first free public school in the City of Passaic. It first opened its doors on October 3, 1870 and was destroyed by a fire on October 5, 1921. Architect John F. Kelly designed the school after the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. After being rebuilt, the tower at School No. 1 was used during World War II by air raid wardens. Thomas Jefferson School No. 1 is a Pre-K through grade 8 school, serving approximately 800 students.